How to help at home.
Top Tips for Parents
- Find a balance in both using English and your home language in your home.
- Tell your child how important you think school is and encourage him or her to participate in class.
- Reading books for pleasure. These can be in either language and any type of reading : magazines, comics, newspapers and even online articles.
- Help your child to focus on understanding of books as well as pronouncing the words. Encourage your child to read and read again.
- If your child is having difficulty understanding school work in English explain concepts in your home language first.
- Work with your child's class teacher. Talk about problems you've noticed, progress that's been made and ask questions about what they think may help your child.
- Remember have fun with language! Play games such as Scrabble and Boggle to help with English spelling. Use I SPY and ABC books to increase vocabulary in a fun way.